LANCIA ZAGATO - covered headlights - pre series
This car belongs to the Pre-Series and according to our research, it is one of the oldest surviving ones.
By far the most desirable Lancia model was the Flaminia Zagato Sport Pre-Series with “covered headlight”.
This version is considered by many Lancia experts as the “holy grail” of Lancia.
Only 99 cars were built in 1959 before Lancia introduced the 1st Series of the Zagato Sport in 1960.
It is estimated that there only exist about 30 survivors of the “covered headlight” Pre-Series. This particular car with chassis number 824.00-1041 is one of the first produced “covered headlight” survivors. On the Certificate of Origin issued by the Lancia Classiche Department the production date is stated as 29.7.1959.
Original factory colour was a rare “Grigio Inglewood” and the interior was in “Pelle Chiara”.
The car has been registered by its first owner Mr. Jaussi, Switzerland, in August 1959. Thereafter it was sold to Mr. Botteon who has been a well known Swiss Lancia dealer and hobby race driver at the time. Mr. Botteon sold the car in February 1979 to Mr. Wolf-Heinrich Kotthoff, Germany . Mr. Kotthoff has been an enthusiastic Lancia collector, founding member of the Lancia Club Germany and also its long time President. After Mr. Kotthoff passed away in 2018 the car was acquired directly from his heirs.
It was a “barn find” in the most classic sense as the car was recovered from a shed where it has slumbered peacefully for the past 40 years.
We are delighted with this extremely rare find and very excited to bring the car back to its former glory. A comprehensive concourse restoration has already started by Scuderia Azzurra, Cologne, and it would be a perfect time for every Lancia enthusiast to acquire this rare jewel.
- 1 of 99 pre-series “covered headlights”
- The very first 99 examples of this series were streamlined with recessed headlights, covered by Plexiglas.
- Original colour “Grigio Inglewood” with “Pelle Chiara”
- Certificate of Origin from Centro Storico FIAT
- History completely known
- Originally delivered to Switzerland
- 3 owners from new
- Last owner since 1972 (Founder and first President of Lancia Club of Germany)